I asked something very similar a while back, and the words from the wise were
not encouraging - too many variable hardware and software factors to take
into account.

I concluded that the only way to do it would be to go for a combination of a
cad style puck thingy (ie. everyone has the same input device that has a
built in cross hairs for targeting points on an underlay), and matching
crosses on screen a bit like calibration of palm/handspring handhelds.

No good for what I wanted though, I needed to know how 'jittery' a user was
being when engaged in a pop the red balloons here and click way over there
task.