Just to let everyone know, I now have mcRipper generating XML, which
I can view in an XML-viewing application. Here's a small sample --
feel free to comment:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<stack name="ripperTest">
<script></script>
    <properties>
       <windowManagerPlace>false</windowManagerPlace>
       <stackFiles></stackFiles>
       <menubar></menubar>
       <rect>727,149,983,405</rect>
       <maxWidth>65535</maxWidth>
       <cantAbort>false</cantAbort>
       <patterns><![CDATA[

]]></patterns>

...etc. One obvious choice was that I went for sub-elements rather
than attributes. There are three reasons for this:

I thought it would be easier to parse in mcRipper (not so sure about that one);

It makes handling CData items (color, patters, script, htmlText) more
consistent, since they would have had to be broken out anyway;

It works out better in the raw text file for a human editor: the
above would be one big line otherwise.

The obvious drawback is the size of the resulting XML file. We'll see
how big they get, but so far they're running about three to four
times the size of the MetaCard stack.

Parsing in order to burn a stack is proving a little difficult: it
works mostly, but gets confused about where it is in the XML. But
soon it will be ready.

regards,

gc