On 26/4/01 2:41 pm, Scott Raney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> This maybe off topic a little:
>> Would it be better to start sharing of the libURL stack by default on 2.4?
>> This should offer a more transparent upgrade from 2.3 since URL support
>> available without the need to turn it on.
>
> It does this automatically now, but only in the development
> environment (the main front script handles each message, starts
> using the stack, then passes the message).  It's technically
> possible to have the engine do this automatically, but I'm not
> sure if this is a good idea or not.  It would better preserve
> backward compatibility (though you will still have to move the
> library into your application with the Resource Mover), but
> means hard-coding the library name into the engine, making it
> impossible to ever rename it or for people to add their own
> libraries to handle certain types of URLs differently from
> others.  Which is more important?

The former.  We definately want to be able to rename, or add our own
libraries.  The latter is something that can be scripted *so* easily.  (E.g.
the Distribution Builder in Rev will do this - including inserting the
library automatically in the standalone with no coding required.)

Regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.runrev.com/>
Runtime Revolution Limited - Power to the Developer!
Tel: +44 (0)131 718 4333.  Fax: +44 (0)1639 830 707.