Scott Raney wrote:

>> 3 - Metacard *is* a fantastic tool. I have no idea what the support
>> structure is, or what we can expect when lingering questions arise.
>
> You can expect bugs to be fixed, but only if you send detailed reports
> about them to us.  "I can't FTP" is not specific: we need to know what
> server, more about what type of system and what kind of connection you
> have to the server, and whether you're sure you can reliably get to
> that from another program (browser or dedicated FTP program).

I have a tip for submitting bugs that I've found is very helpful when I get
them from my own customers, and I've seen Scott respond almost instantly
with confirmation when I take the time to do this:

If possible, see if you can create an isolated example stack that
illustrates the problem you're experiencing.

Sometimes it isn't possible, but most of the time I've found that it's
useful for myself as well.  It lets me rule out other potential sources of
trouble, and as often as not the time I take to isolate problems in this way
shows me that the true source of the problem was not what I originally
anticipated; in some cases I find that it's something I can fix myself and
get back to work, but I wouldn't have known if I hadn't taken the time to
slow down and really analyze the problem.

Once you've isolated a problem and verified that it's something in the
engine (or in this case, libURL), sending that to Scott with a step-by-step
recipe for reproducing the problem will allow him to zero in on it quickly.
And of course, the faster he can identify a problem the faster he can
deliver a fix to us.

I've found Scott Raney provides pretty much the best support in the
industry, but I'll have to admit that my appreciation for his efforts has
grown with my own self-discipline in problem analysis.  When I used to
submit really sloppy reports, I didn't get the results I wanted; when I
provide a good recipe or example stack, most of the time I see a fix in the
very next build.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation