(Note that this implementation has chosen to force every key to have a
>value.   That's because it relies on empty to indicate that a key hasn't
>been defined yet.  If there was an atomic test for 'is-a-key' (is
there?)
>if someKey is among the lines of the keys of myArray
Actually it would probably be a lot faster to force every key to have a
dummy value. This is because if you have 10,000,000 keys and do a lookup,
lookup time should be extremely fast and constant on any key(0
milliseconds) because it's using a hash(ie. associative array) and MC can
either find it or it can't. On the other hand 'is among' would force MC
to try to match each and every line of the keys..until it finds it, and
if there are 10,000,000 keys it could take a while.

I agree though that it would be useful for MetaCard to return something
other than empty..if a key can't be found..to differentiate between the
empty and non existing case.

Tuviah
http://members.aol.com/tuvsnyder/