on 11.14.01 03:13 AM, Sjoerd Op 't Land wrote:

> Anyway I feel that this 'rotate' command that we have now is a step in the
> right direction, but definitely not 'it'. I think a better solution would be
> that every object (I mean every field, button, graphic etc,etc) had a
> 'rotation' property, which could be set to some value between 0 and 359
> degrees.
>
> This solution would involve storing the original image(,field,button...) but
> would take care for not distorting the image.
>
> How do others think about this?

I imagine that the MetaCard engine would have to draw an object to an
offscreen buffer, rotate it, then composite it with the card image (though
there may be shortcuts). Therefore rotated objects would take longer to
display, and require more memory. But both memory and speed constraints fade
with time and I expect that in a few years an application that doesn't draw
controls this way (which can also allow drop shadows, anti-aliasing and
other fabulous effects) will seem stiff and coarse. The Quartz graphic
engine that underlies MacOS X provides facilities for rapid composition. I
wonder if Windows XP (which I haven't seen) has similar tools.

tereza

+ Tereza Snyder
+ Senior Software Developer
+ Attainment Company, Inc.