At 11:40 AM -0800 1/24/02, Scott Rossi wrote:
>On a related note, I come from a print background where we created page layouts by
>having type set for us on photo paper and pasting it down onto boards with rubber
>cement.  Making corrections to anything required cutting the paper with an Exacto(TM)
>blade and pasting new type into position.  Try this sometime with 6 point legal type
>and make it straight.  You kids today with your fancy shmancy page layout programs
>and printers don't know how easy you have it...

I yield -- that sounds harder than writing a compiler, even on an abacus...

>At any rate, it seems that launching any old document is also possible without having
>to reference the document's creator application:
>
>  answer file "Locate file:"
>  put it into tPath
>  delete char 1 of tPath
>  replace "/" with ":" in tPath
>  put "tell application" && quote & "Finder" & quote & cr &\
>      "open file" && quote & tPath & quote & cr &\
>      "end tell" into s
>  do s as AppleScript
>
>This should open the target document as if it was doubleclicked.
>
>Shouldn't this be more difficult?

It _is_ slightly more difficult, since you need to watch out for the "/" character in
the legitimate path, which will have been translated to a ":"

You could either escape the ":" which always gives me a headache, or do a
character-by-character switch. I generally go the headache route, but I have no
aspirin handy at the moment...

regards,

gc