Sorry for the delay in my reply, used the wrong email address.

Actually this is a bad idea under OSX. Even though this is a perfect solution for copying some files, many files and applications in OSX still have resource info attached to them. I'm stuck with 5gigs of data that I am slowly resurrecting by reseting the file creators etc. (no backup).

Anyhow, if you want to use the command line to copy files around, a PERFECTLY SOUND solution as Brian points out, you need to use the following command instead:

ditto -rsrcFork /Users /Volumes/OtherPartition/Users

Do a man on ditto to learn more.