I'm looking for suggestions on how to get multiple sounds to play at once using MetaCard 2.4.3.

I currently use the play command (play audioClip, specifically) to play AIFF sounds. I had used the play videoClip command in many past projects, letting my file size be smaller by using QuickTime compression codecs to compress my sounds, but I just found out when developing my golf game that playing a video clip introduces a significant stutter of the MetaCard engine both when I start and finish a "play videoClip" command.

I would love to just have a few player objects and have them play for different things (one for the bounce of my ball, another player for crowd noise, another for the line judge, etc.), but whenever I have even one player object in my stack, my stack seems to degrade pretty bad over time, eating up more and more and more processor. That's just with even one player. Even with one player right away, it just seems to eat up a huge amount of processor - and this is on a relatively speedy 800 MHz G4.

Anyone have any ideas for me? Any way to reproduce (easily) the soundchannels of HyperCard?

(apologies for bringing up HyperCard ;-) )

Thanks,
Karl