On 2015-07-01 23:46, Anthony Bryan wrote:
On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 6:53 PM, Neil M. <nabbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't have a github account. I've generally steered clear of git due to ugly Windows support compared to subversion. But it looks like github has branched out to support subversion now too and that is still how we access

I'm not sure? I assumed the others were just imported. but maybe?
perhaps the Windows support is better now too

it? That sounds fine to me. I've been migrating some of my other things away from sourceforge, in particular the downloads due to the installer tricks they have been pulling. And I can add metalinks that way too. :-)

yeh, nasty tricks!

A few other things:

1) Do we have a way to distribute binaries? It looks like github can do this, I guess I just haven't seen it. I don't know if this is one of the
pay-for upgrades or we have a quota limit or what.

yes, gh can do binaries. I'm not sure if TT pays for it, but
libmetalink has them

https://github.com/metalink-dev/libmetalink/releases

2) One of the issues with github is that there is a lot of code just thrown
up there without license information.  With SF you could set a general
license in the project page. I think we are OK with our stuff but need to
keep that in mind if merging other projects in and adding new stuff.

it might be good to explicitly sort out the licensing anyways?

I think we are pretty good on having markings in the code files themselves and full licenses in the directories. What we should probably have is a page describing how new contributions should be handled. For example you should use a OSI approved license, include that in code headers, etc. We could make specific license recommendations like LGPL for libraries, GPL for software, just as an example, but I don't think we have to.

3) Is there anything in the SF trac we need to grab? I think that had some
bug tracking and documentation?  I can't seem to get to it now.

I don't remember...

hmm, trac links seem to redirect for me too
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/metalinks/wiki/GettingSupport

Looks like trac is dead:

https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/community-docs/Hosted%20Apps%20Retirement/

I know they had an incomplete howto on how to move it to project space that I guess never actually worked, the data might still be there somewhere.

4) Google Code is also shutting down and I'm an owner for
metalink-chrome-extension. Looks like they make it easy to export to github
so if you want to do that too it should be easy.

that's prolly a good idea. does it export the issues too, or just code?

Yeah it will do the wiki too. I think the one thing it doesn't do is the "Downloads" aka binary releases but there don't appear to be any in this particular case:

https://code.google.com/p/support-tools/wiki/GitHubExporterFAQ