On Tue, 12 February 2002, "Graham Christensen" wrote

> This is true. I myself have many tiny chips and
pieces of meteorite but I
> have an NWA that I got from Dean Bessey that is 285
grams. I am glad that I
> had the opportunity to obtain a meteorite of its
size. It has given me a
> better idea of what a meteorite would probably look
like in an environment
> where it might be weathered and I have been able to
show it to many people
> in my school, many of whom have shown great interest.
Besides, I don't think
> that the information about the strewnfields is all
that important to
> science, the physics of meteorite falls and the
formation of strewnfields is
> already well known. What needs to be studied is the
meteorites themselves
> and the best way to do this is to have nomads out
there searching to make a
> profit, finding the maximum amount of material. Am I
right on this? This is
> just my opinion.
>
> My 2 bits (of NWA meteorite) worth :)

Graham,

I think that you are absolutely right on this on all
counts.

Strewn field information, I think is important with
regards to very large falls, such a Gibeon, Campo del
Cielo, and other such events.  Most important though
are witnessed falls.

Strewnfield data with regards to these is important.
The visual observation of the fireball event coupled
with the data derived from the fall scatter pattern can
provide insight into the process of retardation of
hypersonic bodies with irreguar shapes and motions in
our atmosphere.

(In this regard, some bolides, such as Pasamonte were
observed to have a "corkscrew" motion).

But with regards to the tons of NWA's I think it stupid
and shortsighted to discount these as being
"scientifically important" simply because they do not
have strewnfield data.

These should, instead, be considered potential bonaza
to science.  Cut them, make spheres of them, reduce
them to dust, pop out chondurles for analysis-- the
huge supply should make for some amazing discoveries.

Steve Schoner, American Meteorite Survey.

> Graham Christensen
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.geocities.com/aerolitehunter
>
> >From: "Simon de Boer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: [meteorite-list] NWA   meteorites
blessing  or  omen ?
> >Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 20:54:01 -0500
> >
> >  Edward  and  List  :    I  am  a  junior and
amateur collector.  I've
> >been interested in  meteorites  for as  long as I
can  remember  searching
> >  fields  , rock  piles  wondering  how I  might
wish a    star to fall on
> >  my  property.  Having  finally accumulated
numerous  specimens  I  sent
> >pieces  to Robt  Haag   who  called  me on the phone
 with the
> >discouraging news that  none  of what  I had  a  ton
 of  beside  my  gas
> >barrel  was  meteorite.
> >       At  that point  I  did as  Robt  said and got
 Richard Nortons  book
> >  and  educated  myself somewhat.   I  met a  few
helpful dealers  ,
> >collectors,  and  got  to look at the real thing.
It  was  like  a
> >starved  soul  to  be able to purchase  pieces  of
meteorite  at  such
> >reasonable  prices  and  study them  for  myself.
No  it wasn t  the
> >dollars  for me  that I   could  make on  them  ,
I  was just  glad   to
> >buy  them  for what I could get  them  If  I   had
to  pay  what  some
> >have paid to have  a  few  grams  of rare
individuals  I wouldn t  have
> >any  today  .    I  have shared  pieces  with  many
people who would
> >otherwise  been  like me  ignorant  about what  a
meteorite  looks  and
> >feels  like.     I can  now  bring   and  even  give
 some  to farmers  and
> >friends  who   otherwise  would  never  even see the
real thing  much  less
> >care,  but  they  marvel  when  they get  to touch
what we  now take for
> >granted.
> >       I  spend  hours  looking  over  and  over  at
 all the  variety  of
> >specimens  I  have  from  NWA   and  anyone  who  is
 interested  can
> >actually   come  and  enjoy them also.   I ve  been
asked  if  I can  show
> >what  I have at  the local  fall fair  I  think its
an excellent idea to
> >bring them into  schools and  let  childrens  hold a
 star  first hand and
> >not  look at  it  in a  museum for 5  seconds  and
never  experience
> >them.  the  beauty of  nature  ought not  be  locked
up  and  hoarded  by
> >those  who  can  afford   high  priced   ones  alone
 ..There is  lots  to
> >go around   I m  so  thankful  the  price  was in
range  where  I  didn t
> >hesitate  to   get  some  rather   than  just  keep
looking  and  hoping
> >someday  to  find one .  Blessing  UNWA   for me
perhaps  someday  I
> >ll  get  some  pieces  classified  and  donate  my
20  grams  to the
> >cause  also  without  regret.
> >         I  agree  that  perhaps  alot more pairing
could  have been  done
> >I t   could  have been  picked up  more
scientifically  but  it didn t
> >happen  and  we  won t   turn  back time  to  undo
what  has  been  done
> >Make  the best  of  the  opportunity , I  believe
I'm  doing that   and
> >there is nothing stopping anyone else  either   If
I  don t avail  myself