Dear List Members,

Thank you for affording us the opportunity to introduce NWA 998, an anomalous 456 gram orthopyroxene bearing Nakhlite. In order to continue acquisitions and privately funded research our team has approved the release of 30 grams of this very unusual material for sale to private collectors. A generous portion has been set aside for research in the way of two separate type-samples which more than double the requirements of the Nomenclature Committee. Most of the 170 gram main mass will be preserved for future study and will remain in the Hupe Collection. By private treaty the rest will be traded to major museums.

Anomalous, when describing this meteorite, means it is a one-of-a-kind find. Although the study of this new Martian meteorite has just begun it has caused quite a stir in the scientific community. What makes NWA 998 so interesting is that it is the first Nakhlite found to contain discrete crystals of orthopyroxene, the major component of ALH84001, a unique orthopyroxenite. Like ALH84001, which at one time was sub-classed under nakhlites, ankeritic and other extraterrestrial carbonates have been identified in this meteorite. These carbonates are what made ALH84001 the world's most famous meteorite. These carbonates were deposited in this meteorite when underground carbonate-bearing water flowed through it beneath the surface of Mars. Another point of intense interest is the existence of simplectites, structures that will improve our knowledge of the geological processes on Mars. These structures indicate NWA 998 experienced a brief but intense geological upheaval on Mars. The creation of these simplectites involved super heated water that chemically altered portions of this meteorite and occurred after the rock crystallized. Water bearing minerals have been identified in this awesome meteorite as well. If this were not enough, this meteorite contains minerals believed to be created by extraterrestrial weathering.

Several other unique features are being explored and if proven true will change forever the way we think about Mars. Its most important feature has yet to be proven but is trending greatly towards a monumental scientific discovery! We wish we could share more concerning this discovery but out of respect for the scientists we want to give them the opportunity to make the announcement first. After more confirming tests are completed this announcement will be made at the latest towards the end of July at the 65th Meteoritical Society meeting in Los Angeles. Expect to hear a lot more in the news about this most scientifically important find.

Click here to read more about NWA 998 on Ron Baalke's JPL NASA web site

 http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/snc/news48.html

Click here to read more about NWA 998 on the CNN web site

 http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/05/15/mars.meteorites/index.html

Click here to read more about NWA 998 on the Space.com website

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/mars_meteorite_020517.html

A trade price of $10,000.00 a gram has been established for this find. To list members only, we will be offering the following specimens at $7,500.00 a gram. We have examples ranging in weight from 2mg to 756mg depending on your requirements. This material has been selling very briskly on eBay at the normal price. We realize many collectors do not purchase through eBay. This is why for the next week and a half we will make this material available to list members. This is a bargain considering the record price spent in its acquisition, it’s extraordinary scientific value (arguably the most scientifically significant and unique find to come out of Africa) and the extremely limited amount of material available to the public. A recently found desert Nakhlite is being traded at $16,000.00 a gram, more than twice as much as these examples. Click here to see a few specimens that show the size to weight relationship www.nwessentials.com/nwa998/nwa998ruler.jpg

If interested, please contact us off the list at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and let us know what size(s) you are interested in.

All the best,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
IMCA 2185