Hello List...

In my opinion, Rhett's explaination of how Portales was formed makes a great deal of sense. Especially where he discusses the Widmansatten structure found in the thick metallic veins associated with the metal-rich specimens from that mixed fall.

The basic fact that meteorites with the general resemblance of ordinary chondrites, plummeted to earth along side of meteorites with an appearance similar to that of a silicated iron during a singular witnessed fall event is not only unusual, it is unprecidented.

By the way, there is an excellent image of a 16 pound ... that's POUND, not gram, 'SLICE' of PORTALES VALLEY METAL-RICH METEORITE featured in The Third Millennium Meteorite Calendar - 2003 edition.

For those who would like to see a full-size image of the calendar page featuring the PORTALES specimen, just send me an email reqesting the image and I'll email you a copy.

Robert A Szep.