It sounds like the Klez virus.  Norton's or McAfee's sites will tell you
step-by-step how to remove it.  Also, the Bugbear worm is making the rounds
too.  The Klez disables your anti-virus and won't let you reinstall your
anti-virus either...until you disable the worm.  This means deleting a file or
two and deleting a couple of registry entries.