Having suffered the vagaries of using credit cards over the Internet and
PayPal, with which I have had bitter experience at the receiving end as
registrar of a conference that offered Paypal as a way of paying
registration fees, I now do all of my by-mail purchases by sending a
bank draft in the vendor's currency by special delivery or registered
mail or priority courier.  So far, for several years, absolutely no
problems.  A tip of the hat to government postal services.  I must add
that so far I have been fortunate to deal with vendors who supply what
they have offered for sale.