I should have added obsidian to my list for comparisons:
  • Color is dark green to dark brown and black, also can show sheens of gold or green, yellow, blue and/or purple coloration. Sometimes with white inclusions (Snowflake Obsidian).
  • Luster is vitreous.
  • Transparency: Obsidian is translucent in any stone of appreciable size.
  • Crystal System does not apply because obsidian is amorphous.
  • Habits include compact nodules or as massive layers between other volcanic rocks
  • Fracture is conchoidal.
  • Hardness is 5 - 5.5 (much softer than quartz).
  • Specific Gravity is approximately 2.6 (average)
  • Streak is white.
  • Other Characteristics: Generally lacks open voids or large bubbles like other volcanic rocks.
  • Notable Occurrences include Italy; Mexico; Scotland; Arizona, Colorado, Texas, Utah and Idaho, USA.
  • Best Field Indicators are color, fracture, flow bubbles, softness, association with other volcanic rocks and lack of crystal faces.

Mark