Paper: The Toronto Star
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Date: June 1, 2000

Meteorite find excites scientists

By Peter Calamai Yukon

Fragments offer `best chance ever' to study birth of our solar system.

'This is our best chance ever to see what organic chemicals were present
when the sun and planets were formed 4.5 billion years ago. It was likely a
small asteroid that once . . . had water.' Michael Zolensky NASA cosmic
mineralogist SCIENCE REPORTER OTTAWA - Traces of the chemical building
blocks of the solar system - and of the human race itself - may well be
preserved inside hundreds of pieces of a rare meteorite recovered recently
from the ice surface of a Yukon lake.
The Tagish Lake meteorite is the largest meteorite fall in Canada and the
pieces are the least contaminated of any meteorite ever recovered anywhere
in the world.
``This is our best chance ever to see what organic chemicals were present
when the sun and planets were formed 4.5 billion years ago, '' said Michael
Zolensky, a cosmic mineralogist with the National Aeronautics and Space
Administration.
While the meteorite's outer layers reached white hot temperature as the
fireball flashed through the atmosphere on Jan. 18, the inside would have
remained cold, preserving any delicate organic molecules trapped there. Some
of those molecules were captured from the swirling gas cloud that later
became our solar system, scientists said.
Zolensky joined researchers from the University of Calgary and the
University of Western Ontario at a news conference in Calgary yesterday to
explain the significance of the find.
Initial lab tests of tiny samples reveal the meteorite contains water and is
of a type called a carbonaceous chondrite, with 50 times as much carbon as
the much more common stony meteorites. The previous carbonaceous chondrite
was recovered 31 years ago.
``This is the scientific equivalent of a NASA sample return mission to an
asteroid using a satellite that would have cost $100 million, '' said Peter
Brown, a meteor researcher at the University of Western Ontario.
The meteorite fragments look like burnt charcoal briquettes and easily break
apart because of the high carbon content.
Satellite photos that captured the path of the Yukon fireball plus
eyewitness accounts allowed researchers to calculate that the meteorite came
from an asteroid once in orbit between Mars and Jupiter.
``It was likely a small asteroid that once reached at least room
temperature, had water and a higher organic content than the earth, '' said
NASA's Zolensky.
Forty grams of recovered meteorite will be parcelled out to researchers
around the world and scientific probing of the rocks could last for years.
But there is more of the meteorite to go around because of a race against
time that swelled the find from an initial one kilogram of rock to at least
six kilograms and maybe as much as 10.
Meteorite searchers rushed to recover the fragments before spring weather
melted the ice covering Tagish Lake between Atlin in northern B.C. and
Carcross in the Yukon.
On a first visit in February they tried using RCMP sniffer dogs, but the
animals had been trained for different smells. Then the searchers looked for
spots where wolves had urinated because past meteorite fragments attracted
such behaviour.
In the end the team of a half-dozen searchers had to come back April 20 when
most of the snow covering the lake was gone. By May 8, when the ice on
Tagish Lake was declared unsafe, searchers had noted about 500 spots where
meteorites had bored into the ice and retrieved roughly 200 fragments.
Most meteorites that crash into Earth are contaminated by landing in soil or
quickly lose the rarer organic chemicals as gases in the warmer conditions
here. But the Tagish Lake meteorite avoided these dangers because it landed
on ice that kept it frozen and largely pristine.
``Of all the times I dreamed of finding meteorites, I could never have
dreamed of finding anything like this,'' said an ecstatic Alan Hildebrand, a
planetary scientist at the University of Calgary.