> I have read many of the popular theories on the extinction events argued in
> this message, and to be frank, the fact remains that dinosaurs, in general,
> were on the decline.

The dinosaurs may have well been on gradual decline prior to the impact, but
even if that is the case, that does not contradict their abrupt
disappearance at the time of impact.

> As far as an impacter causing the extinction. I'm
> skeptical, for then, how do the mammals, marsupials, and birds, all
> non-burrowing, survive a "world affecting" impact.

I don't find it strange at all that the large animal species at the top
of the food chain (ie: dinosaurs) were the most adversely affected by the impact.
The smaller species or the more mobile (mammals, birds, reptiles, etc.) had a
better chance of survival in the aftermath.  A large number of the smaller animals
did go extinct as well at the time of the impact, but some were able to survive.

Ron Baalke