>Steve / Steve:
>
> >Isn't Pyrrhotite Fe(1-x)S?
>
>True.  Troilite is distinct from Pyrrhotite. It was simply the best
>terrestrial analog, found in abundance on Earth and easily referenced,
>that I could come up with at the time for S. Arnold's post.

to be more precise there are different sorts of pyrrhotite: a first one
that is very like troilite (FeS): "non magnetic" (in fact
antiferromagnetic) with formula Fe9S10 and hexagonal system, and the second
one (not mentionning extra and more exotic forms) Fe7S8 which is magnetic
and monoclinic. The last one is more common in terrestrial rocks, but also
present in SNC and Rumuritites (probably as a mixture with Fe9S10)

Pierre