My heartfelt prayers go out to the friends and families of the astronauts killed today.

This bit of speculation is thanks to my husband: upon launch, a piece of insulation flew off and struck the Space Shuttle. It seemingly did no damage at the time, but may have opened a hairline crack in the heat-resistant tiles of the wing, where it hit. One of the last transmissions from Columbia noted a problem with tire pressure. The proposed crack would have been right over the well where the tires rest while not being used. The events would have transpired thus: Crack in tiles allows excess heat in to tire well. Tire responds to extreme heating by blowing out or excessive expanding, further weakening the stressed tiles and wing at that point. Further weakening of wing results in catastrophic failure upon reeentry.

Ron, last fall you put out a call for civilian NASA ambassadors. I would like to apply, even though the deadline is past. NASA is going to need all the advocates it can get after this latest disaster. Manned space flight is going to be set back in the US to pre-Mercury standards; there are hundreds of well-meaning but ignorant or apathetic individuals who don't want money spent on space flight.

Tracy Latimer