To: <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 1:49 PM
Subject: [meteorite-list] More evidence of building blocks of DNA inmeteorites

Hello fellow Listerians:

It's hype, just like the sketchy arsenic-based life forms and the imaginary Martian fossils. First off when you say DNA, most people think of a biotic double helix just like we have in the nuclei of our cells. Components of DNA is an entirely different thing, like maybe a little bit of a rung from the DNA ladder. And the same nucleobases plus some hypoxanthine and xanthine were found in the surrounding ice and soil samples near the other meteorites. Sounds a lot like terrestrial contamination. Maybe the analog compounds were present or created at impact, but it sure sounds like the other stuff seeped in while the meteorites lay there for how long? I mean c'mon the exact same compounds? What are the chances of that? They've got to stop crying wolf all the time, it's getting old.

Phil Whitmer
Joshua Tree Earth& Space Museum