Hello Mike and List:
First of all...Seasons Greetings to all!  Hope you all get the rocks you want!

Regarding these trees.  Notice that there is a very clear 90 degree seam at the
bend.  What is done here is a grafting technique, where a 90 degree wedge is
taken out when the tree is very young <5years, and it is folded over on itself
, then treated with Plant growth hormones for rapid healing. It is sealed with
a wax tape Then it is shaped as it grows until it reaches the desired shape.
This is a lot of work to get the desired results.  I agree with Sergey that is
is used in furniture making - very expensive furniture.

I have seen 'living' furniture too. Live trees that have been bent and grafted
into ladders, benches, chairs. Takes years to do well.

Cheers all.

Craig Moody
Univ. of Guelph - Horticulture - Go Aggies!
IMCA #6276