If the two combine as some sort of conglomerate (like a breccia), and the combination doesn't result in voids, then the bulk density can't be lower than the density of the lowest density material. But if the two combine chemically, resulting in an alloy or in the formation of different minerals, certainly the bulk density could be lower than either of the constituents (because you could have an increase in volume).

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com