Hallo  Matthias,

A dirigible has an internal, light weight, rigid, geometric, metal frame and
may have several separate, sealed, spaces for helium as a lifting medium. A
blimp ( Named after Englander Oberst Blimp) has usually one unsupported gas
container. Literally a gas bag.

Count (Graf) von Zeppelin designed the first of the practical, passenger
carrying, airships in the late 1920's. Others had been built and used during
World War One by the fatherland in night bombing raids to London.

The Macon, Los Angeles, and the Georgia and several others were operated by the
US Navy in the 1930's. They all met their demise due to extreme weather (winds
aloft) and pilot error. We all know what happened to the Hindenburg at
Lakehurst. (Static electricity and hydrogen do not go well together.)

Blimps were used successfully by the US Navy for detecting untersebooten with
some success. Even being deployed from ship while underway for convoy
protection. Another popular use was to deploy and tether blimps fitted with
dangling cables above to discourage Luftwaffe strafing attacks.

I have been checked out in the Goodyear sponsored blimp here in Las Vegas and
have made several successful flights. I do not care to fly airships as they are
hard to control in surface winds over 10K and near impossible aloft in
turbulence.

I do not believe that the very beautiful craft being planned to look for
meteorites is going to provide any success, as the terrain and the resulting up
and down drafts are going to force the pilot to maintain at least 1000' of
clearance while  refraining from even attempting stationary positioning. The
ship will go whatever way the air mass is moving, no matter what he does with
the articulated propulsion units and tail thruster.

Thank you for the opportunity to expound on my favorite lifelong
addiction...flight.

Count Deiro

Airline Transport Pilots License #1495690
Ratings: Aircraft single and multi- engine land and sea. Rotorcraft-Helicopter.
Airship - single and multi-engine.
Flight Instructor: Airplanes and Instruments. Ground Instructor: Advanced and
Instruments. FAA Gold Seal Flight Instructor.
FAI Competition Soaring License #9865.