I doubt you were seeing micrometeorites, and almost certainly not Orionid micrometeorites. While there is iron in Halley's dust trail, it remains a trace constituent. Orionid micrometeorites should be silicates, not iron particles.

You don't state the size of particles observed, but typical micrometeorites are in the 1-10 um diameter range. These particles require months or even years to settle to the ground. Even huge micrometeorites- 100 um diameter- would require about 100 hours to reach the ground, so you wouldn't see them until days after the shower peak.

I've recovered particles very much like what you describe (using a custom built micrometeorite collection device), and have subjected the most interesting to examination under an electron microscope (with dispersion analysis). All proved to be nothing more than industrial smokestack debris- and I'm high in the Rockies where the air has a very low particulate count. Where you live, I doubt you'd ever pick out micrometeorites from the vast array of industrial pollutants.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com