The poorly interpreted and recently twisted U.S. laws are nearly as strict.
Give it a few more years.  Now that meteorites are considered cultural
property, we will be hearing  a lot more about this subject. When artifacts and
rocks (meteorites) are treated the same, so will the jail terms.  The recent
Florida show artifact busts demonstrates that public servants are not messing
around.  Several people are facing dozens of felony charges each including a
well-known meteorite collector and over a dozen previously respected artifact
dealers.

Although well-intended, Egyptian laws have pushed the dealing of artifacts
underground and have raised their value considerably making them more desirable
than ever to some.  Personally, I would not touch any item from Turkey or Egypt
without proper paperwork which is unobtainable.  Just like commercial meteorite
collecting permits will be here in the U.S.

Adam