"Melting a meteorite and reforming it is a little bit like compressing
and merging together these layers of time, history and space.
Eventually I would like to send the meteorite back into Space,"

Replace "compressing and merging" with "destroying" and then you have
a valid statement.  Once melted and reformed, referring to it as a
meteorite is no
longer correct.

Michael in so. Cal.