I'm sure some of the UK folks will chime in on this, but I believe that
Hadrian's wall largely follows the course of the Great Whin Sill (a
quartz dolerite that strikes E-W and dips S) which not only provided a
physical obstacle to the barbarians to the north (Rob?) but also
provided the building material of the wall itself. The construction is
impressive - both outer and inner ditches (excavated from the dolerite
providing material for the standard 10 foot thick wall faced with
finished cut stone), a parallel military road and a civilian one.