Title: Newark Daily Advocate

City: Newark, Ohio

Date: Tuesday, September 07, 1886

Page: 1

A Meteor Falls in Charleston Bay.

CHARLESTON, S. C., Sept. 7. - But few people saw the meteor which fell in the bay here Sunday night. Three or four sailors describe it vividly. Mr. E. T. Riddick, correspondent of the New York Star, had a fair view of it, and to a reporter said: "I was on the battery at the time the meteor was seen. My attention was directed to it by a reflection on the water. It was exactly 11:15 p.m. When first discovered it was 275 degrees azimuth and 90 degrees elevation. It was in the sky southeast by south and went down diagonally in a westerly direction. At 30 degrees elevation it burst into a million pieces. When first seen it was a green color, then it became yellow with a green tail, and just as it burst, it turned red, nd fragments resembled balls of fire. The meteor looked and acted like a rocket, and appeared to the eye to be thirty or fourty feet across. It was visible about seven seconds. Mr. W. H. McDongal, an artist for the New York World, also saw the meteor and confirms the description of Mr. Riddick.

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor and meteorite articles.