From: Joseph Murakami [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:
30 June 2003 09:40
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [meteorite-list] Anti-rust

Here’s a bit of info while I was investigating anti-rust..

The vapor emitters are fascinating, but how about for our open-air specimens on displays??  This may be prohibitively costly…I’ll have to await their reply to my inquiries.

This system is for 4WD’s, SUV, auto’s, but I imagine it might be adaptable for our larger meteorites.  Anyone out there with rusty 300 lb Campo’s??

Joseph

Honolulu

http://www.counteractrust.com/

 The CounterAct electronic rust prevention system uses a process called 'capacitive coupling' to apply a measurable current to every metallic component of a vehicle that's earthed to the battery. A small unit, usually mounted on the firewall, detects the amount of power required to create an electrostatic field that will keep the metal structure electron-rich and then provides that power, reducing the ion mobility that's the basis of the corrosion process, The unit is fed from the vehicle's battery, drawing about as much current as an LCD clock.
So the system operates by applying one of the principles of electrochemistry - that an oxidation reaction can be slowed or retarded by creating a surplus of electrons to the metal from a supplementary source.