Stephen,
Anne Black, Bill Mason, and I all sell various types of VCIs.  Anne and I have ziplock VCI plastic bags, emitters suitable for 5 cubic feet, and Kraft paper treated with emitters.  Bill has emitters and liquids containing VCIs. They have been tested on a variety of materials and I know of no ill affects on any other materials.  They do not seem to affect optical qualities of precision lenses.
Regards,  Fred Olsen
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 4:22 PM
Subject: [meteorite-list] VCI's

Hello List,

I have a few questions about volatile corrosion inhibitors (VCIs). As a relative newcomer to meteorite collecting I apologize for any niavete. Those people who are tired of rust threads should probably skip this messege now.  However, if anybody who has used VCIs wants to field these questions, I would be grateful.

I've gathered a few bits and pieces about VCI from the archives and recent discussions about rusting irons.  However, I'm not sure that I have a clear picture about when they are good to use.

Firstly, Has anyone experienced unwanted reactions with any of the following materials

A. The various minerals that are abundant in meteorites that are not irons

B. plastics such as those found in display/storage containers

C. Other coatings (In my case I have wiped a bunch of Sikhotes with a silicone gun cloth)

D. dessicants

E. human health

Secondly, can they be used in very small containers such as plastic cubes that are as small as about 10X10X10 cm?

Finally, does anybody have recommendations about specific product names and suppliers?

Thank you for your time

Stephen McMann