Imagine the outrage if dealers borrowed (stole) NGC or PCGS numbers for coins that another dealer had graded? Or stole BGS or PSA numbers to describe just any old rare Baseball Cards or simply "borrowed" GIA certification report numbers for Diamonds? They would be charged with fraud.

Numbers and nomenclature assigned to NWA meteorites apply only to the stones that were submitted and formally studied at the time of classification. These are basically laboratory sample numbers and do not apply to subsequently found stones or batches. Numbers and Total Known Weights are officially assigned for a reason; mainly so laboratories and research scientists know for sure what material they are working with. Collectors see these numbers as some form of protection believing that if they have a number assignment, they were studied by a qualified research scientist, not some poser. Self-paired stones have never been examined by a qualified scientists and were never peer-reviewed thus they do not deserve to piggy-back official numbers.

Lets take a sector from the collectables market that is performing well like 1960s era muscle cars for instance. Try entering a muscle car into an auction, claiming it is original, and see what happens when the numbers are found not to match? You will never be asked to consign another car again and you will be blacklisted.

Collectors do care about legitimate number assignments and real TKWs so should never settle for self-paired, undocumented stones placed on the market.

Besides all that, members of the IMCA took an oath and agreed to following:

6. I agree that unclassified 'meteorites' that have not been verified as meteorites might not be meteorites. I will not sell or trade any meteorites or any questionable meteoritic material unless I first obtain verification. I agree to specify verified but unclassified material as such in connection with any sale, trade, or other transaction related to the same. Meteoritical Society guidelines will prevail in the circumstance of meteorite naming and pairing. I understand and agree that, as a member, I may be required to provide further evidence to the Board (or other relevant I.M.C.A. Committee), including but not limited to: the verification process utilized for unclassified meteorites, and/or documentation from an approved testing institution or approved individual of the Board's choosing.