Hi Michael

I think your idea has merit but Doug points out some good points. What I would suggest if you were able to arrange this, first, I'd have presentations and talks more during the evenings after dinner time. Second, if you were to have a list of topics that were going to be addressed along with a time line, well ahead of the Tucson Show, so people could attend areas they were interested in. Maybe post the topics a week ahead of time before the show and post them again just before and during the show, I think you would get a steady group of people that would attend.

Things like this cost money, but a fee to cover and off set costs would be fine as long as it wasn't too much or you would loose people. Perhaps a fee for each talk people want to attend. You might also offer some refreshments for a modest fee to off set the costs. I'd see if you couldn't get a hotel to donate a room for the talks. This could be all or part of the cost of the meeting room.

I wouldn't appreciate dealers making an info commercial but if they gave solid science type of program, then fine. I have organized sizable conventions before (over 300 attendees) and it can be a lot of work but there is a lot of great scientist that are in the area or attend and I am sure that some of them would be glad to offer informative talks for the troops during the show. Good luck and hope you are able to succeed! Best!

--AL Mitterling
Mitterling Meteorites

Quoting Michael Doran via Meteorite-list
<meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>:

In my previous life as a systems librarian at a university, I regularly attended conferences and user group meetings.  An
integral
aspect of these conferences/meetings were educational presentations

done by attendees. It occurred to me that presentations are
something
that might enhance the experience of attending the Tucson Show.

For example, while I know that there's nothing I can teach the old hands, there are a number of things I'm figuring out as a newbie
that
I think would be of interest to other newbies.  Here are examples
of
presentations I would be willing to do, if the opportunity
presented
itself:

1) Meteorite collection development plans: what they are and why
you
should have one

2) Meteorite storage and display solutions for small (< 40
specimen)
collections

And as an *attendee* I would really be interested in presentations from people doing actual meteorite science about the work they are doing (geared towards an educated lay audience).  Also, I would be interested in presentations from dealers about various aspects of meteorite acquisition, classification, and preparation.

To make this work would require:

A meeting room
--------------
A meeting room at one of the main meteorite venues at the Tucson
Show
that for certain times/days could be devoted to presentations.  The

room would need to have a basic presentation set-up: a speaker's table and/or podium with a way to connect a computer to a projector

and chairs for the audience.  The Tucson show lasts two weeks, but
would anticipate that the presentations part would only be for one
or
maybe two days.

Organization
------------
Someone to:
- Put out a call for presenters, and
- Based on response, determine how many time slots were needed, and
- Assign presentations to time slots in schedule and notify
presenters, and
- Put out a presentation schedule with titles/abstracts prior to
Tucson show
- Prepare meeting room for presentations
- Assist presenters with use of meeting room equipment

While the organization of this could be done by volunteers (I would

be willing to volunteer my time), reserving a meeting room would incur a cost.  Perhaps the IMCA would have funds in their budget to

subsidize this and would consider taking this on. Another option would be to charge a nominal registration fee to attend this "seminar" portion of the show.  Again, I think this would only last
day or maybe two.

If you think this idea has merit, I have some questions for you...

As an attendee, what topics in meteoritics and/or meteorite collecting would you be interested in learning about?

Would you consider being a presenter?  If so, what topic(s) would
you
consider doing a presentation on?

Would you be willing to pay a registration fee to attend a short meteoritics/meteorite collecting seminar during the Tucson show?

If you would rather respond directly to me rather than the list, I can compile/summarize those responses for the list.

Thank you,

-- Michael

ps I've spent a fair amount of time going through the Meteorite Central list archive.  I've not seen any proposals like this, but it's possible I have missed those threads.  If so, I would
appreciate
hearing about any "lessons learned" from previous attempts.

Michael Doran
Fort Worth, TX