To differentiate between volcanic glasses and impact glasses is a classical problem that has been addressed by those who have studied glass beads found in lunar soils. For the latter, the homogeneity of chemical compositions within a bead is a very good criterion (except for volatiles). The glass beads which are impact melts are very heterogeneous. This is also the case for glass beads found in howardites and which are always impact melts. In terrestrial cases, it is a question that has been treated many times, especially for South American glasses (example of calites and macusanites). A lot of data have been obtained (I remember a thesis defended in Grenoble in the years 1995 under the direction of Gérard Poupeau who was interested in fission tracks, and who considered using some of these glasses as standards). There is a really simple criterion to distinguish these glasses, and there must be references (I think by Christian Koeberl if my memory is correct). Glasses like calites or macusanites are rhyolitic. This type of lava contains measurable amounts of water. In contrast, impact glasses (even of rhyolitic composition) contain ridiculously small amounts of water. This is an excellent criterion to make the difference.

Best regards,

Jean-Alix