Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2003 4:30 AM
Subject: RE: [meteorite-list] Another kind of 'wrong

Well, at least they did not call them Moldavite (only Czech), as most mineral dealerships do.  These particular types are mined from deep in the earth (tsavorite, Tanzanian), and the jury is out as to what impact they could be related to if they are indeed tektites.  There was a big todo about gem dealers calling these items Moldavite , and the pressure on them to dis-associate them from that name has been great.  These particular glassy mineral stones make much better cut gemstones than the true Moldavite, but what they really are has yet to be officially determined, as far as I know

CharlyV