Many thanks to all who responded, about this daunting (to unscientific-me, anyway) task.  I worked slowly and erred on the side of caution, diluted down to a VERY weak solution, added sodium carb, let steep, and dumped.   What was left over, I'm adding to a pitcher of Herradura margaritas, for a little extra zing while watching the World Series.   ;-)   Living without appropriate storage facilities and in earthquake-prone SoCal as I do, I'm just as happy not having a breakable gallon-jug of that stuff sitting around waiting to cause trouble...thanx, listees.

Gregory    (none the worse for wear, other than those odd new toes growing out of my elbow)