Because of space considerations, my collecting habits are simple: micros. Most of my collection is under 5g each, and I cannot scorn Bessey Specks, because for many types (notably SNC and lunar) they are all I can afford. If possible, I like individuals, but otherwise my goal is simply as many different meteorites as I can, space and price considered. I have a lovely pinky-nail sized Esquel, gotten from Mike F. years ago, that, to me, is the classic micro for the type: equal parts bright green peridot crystal and clean metal.

Tracy Latimer

From: "Walter Branch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [meteorite-list] Collecting Habits
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:30:06 -0400

Hello Everyone,

I have been thinking of the different ways to collect meteorites (e.g., type, class, location, etc.) and I was wondering if anyone would care to describe their collecting specialties or subspecialties. The reason I ask is because I have gotten interested in a sort of unusual specialty area - the find or fall consisting of a single specimen. TKW is not an issue as it would be paired with no other specimen.

An image comes to my mind of a single, lonely meteorite, a common chondrite, out on the plains of the midwest US (for example) sitting there for hundreds if not thousands of years, just waiting to be found by anyone. Maybe it was looked and wondered about scores of times by many a passerby or maybe just ignored.

Anyone else have this interest? I would be interested in hearing about others collecting interests.

Best wishes,

-Walter
www.branchmeteorites.com
Walter Branch, Ph.D.