Hi Howard and List,

If you search the archives, you'll find that we've discussed the Mercury & Venus
meteorite transfer issue before.  I believe the scientific consensus is that it is indeed
possible for both planets to have transferred material to earth through very energetic
impacts.  A list member posted results of a computer simulation of transfer statistics
(e.g. Mars to Earth, Earth to Mars, Moon to Earth, Venus to Earth, and Mercury
to Earth).  I'll try to find the specific post.  I recall that the mass transfer rate for
Mercury was something like a few % of what it is for Mars, and thus there is a
real chance that a Mercury meteorite or two are hiding amongst our recovered
finds.  (Don't recall what the transfer rate was for Venus -- perhaps a bit worse
owing to the thick atmosphere.)

The problem, as you've pointed out, is recognition.  You'd expect the nickel/iron
to be almost entirely in a reduced state (no oxygen).  E-chondrites would fit the
bill, but frankly there are too many of them.  I guess one question for the planetary
geologists is, "How should Venusian basalt differ from Martian basalt?"

--Rob