In a message dated 02/03/2004 18:03:08 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

So, what's the Mars news that is so secret, Stromatolites? Banded Irons?
Frozen water?  Who knows sompthin?

Take a wander over to the Forums (specifically Unmanned Probes / Spirit & Opportunity 1 / 2 / 3 & 4 ) at www.newmars.com, where we're having a fine old time discussing this very puzzle...! ;-)

For what it's worth, my money is on NASA announcing the discovery of brine-rich water beneath the surface of Meridiani, the landing site of the second rover, Opportunity. The rover has been "digging" some trenches with its wheels, uncovering fascinating structure in the disturbed material, and many people have interpreted what they've seen as evidence that the subsurface material there is clumping and glooping together like wet sand because it actually IS wet... but we'll know more later. In the meantime, feel free to look in on us at newmars, you'll be very welcome :-)

Stu