G'day all,

I'm starting to think this was a fairly big show! I've received an email from someone who lives some 500km SW of Townsville and witnessed the event also. They even felt the booms. I might add they sent the email within 2 hours of the event (long before they could have read anything from the media) and described everything pretty well. Hopefully there could be some material coming out of this one. Pity it has to stay in Australia! ;-)

Cheers,

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Spectacular Fireball Over Australia

>>A MYSTERY "fireball" that fell from the sky and reportedly struck the
earth so hard it shook buildings like a mini-earthquake had North
Queenslanders scratching their heads last night.<<
There's a good chance that a meteorite hit the ground with this fireball, but the "shook buildings..." effect was most likely airborne sonics caused by the objects passing thru the atmosphere.
George Zay