Personally I have to say that private collectors would most likely take better care of their collections than most 'commercial' institutions. I've seen too many fantastic irons rusting away and even one of the most beautiful oriented meteorites in the world hacked up just for "scientific" value. Personally, I wouldn't expect to see these occurences from most private collections!

Cheers,

Jeff
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2004 8:47 AM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Boorish Comments on A Tektite Web Page

Hello Keith and list,

You bring up some interesting comments on "collecting versus curating".  However, I question if there is that much of a difference.  Something that is collected by an amateur in the field or purchased off eBay, is going to be saved, it will be curated.  There are very few of us that would spend our money on a meteorite or piece of impactite and then not try to take the best possible care of it.  Looking at most of the large meteorite collections from the last 100 years, most have found there way into a University of Museum collection.

In the case of the Escoria impactite, from which you comment on.  This material is collected at the edge of a shore.  How long do you think it would take this very light and fragile material to be torn up and destroyed by the incoming tide?  My personal opinion is that it is better for Norm to support the local economy of Brazil, and supply items to collections, such as mine, from which I have used to help educate, using the web, at shows and locally.  (I did purchase a sample from Norm.)

If Universities and Museum refuse to share information to a collector, it would make it hard for the same collector to share finds, information or give donations. Something that would benefit nobody.

Mark Bostick