Unfortunately, it is not that simple. As I wrote in my previous
message, the stone was sent to a major lab for classification.
They cut off a type specimen, made a thin section, and classified
the stone accordingly. The result was that it is paired to another
NWA chondrite that already has (at least) three separate numbers.
So the lab said they won't bother to add yet another number to
the very same material.

out of curiosity are you talking about an actual instance that happened to you, or is this a hypothetical situation? why owuld a lab bother to look at a stone and not go the final step to assign a nwa number to it? to be honest I dont know that much about the classification process from the 'inside' perspective, but that sounds like quiting a 30k marathon at the 29.9km mark because you decided it just wasnt worth your time to finish.