Thanks for the response Chris. I did think about shepherding and the apparent lack there of.
Strike ONE!
Jerry
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Peterson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Meteorite List" <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 10:42 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Interesting Meteorite Science Article

I don't believe there is any way a ring system could be stable in a binary planet system (which is really what the Earth/Moon is). Theories of ring system formation seem to require a fairly large system of moons to capture and shepherd debris.

Also, the effects of even a sparse ring system probably would not have gone unnoticed given all the satellites in orbit- particularly geostationary ones.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com