And one other way... they can simply refuse to define "planet at all", since there is no need to do so. But that would be too simple.

Chris

Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 4:28 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] OT: HOW MANY PLANETS?

    The IAU and astronomy generally have a dilemma,
though. How can you say that the massive 2003UB313 is NOT
a planet when the smaller Pluto IS?

I can think of two ways.  I think the object orbit's should be
a factor in defining a planet. 2003 UB313 is inclined at 44 degrees,
so if you exclude object above 20 degrees inclination, then Pluto
would be in and 2003 UB313 is out.

Another way is just make Pluto an exception to the rule, and have
it retain its planetary status.  We have precedences for this.  A platypus
lays eggs, but is still considered a mammal.  Europa and Asia
are considered separate continents even though they are a single
combined land mass.