Dirk can add to this as he wishes, however Mt Fuji is around 12,400ft±--(I walked up part of it and am still out of breath 2 years later) Any trail falling below the near crest would indicate incandescence below 12,000. (2miles±) and would be sufficient for estimating 10k ft.

Somewhere, I read that active incandescence can't exist below 5 miles as the air is too dense for your typical meteoroid to maintain incandescence generating velocity I however, observed a bolide that may have exploded at certainlky less than 4 and possibly around 3 miles using artillery observer methods and from which a 2kg meteorite was recovered. So I am not sure how valid the 5 mile barrier is. I hope we get some more data. Does anyone have a reference to altitudes where incandescence is extinguished?

Recovering a meteorite from that vicinity is problematic owing that it is a series of lava flows and part of it is a US Marine tank gunnery range.

Elton

Marco Langbroek wrote:

Dirk, I am wondering: how can you know the end altitude? You have to triangulate photographs or video images taken from at least 2 well-separated locations to know that. Also, this end altitude would be quite low for a meteorite, although not entirelly impossible.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)