About 30 years ago, I found a piece of metallic rock deeply embedded in hard-packed earth out in the woods, with the ground around it charred to a radius of about 18". Having extensive experience in foundry science, I could ascertain that the item had been in a semi-plastic state upon impact, with sand embedded in the face, and gas bubbles trailing along the outer surface to a tapered rear edge.

I have had several geologists look at it, and none could identify it, except to determine that it was non-ferrous and had no nickel alloys. Finally, a metallurgist analyzed a small piece, and told me it was a metallic silica compound. This was surprising, since at that time, there were only a few places in the world with the capability of creating such a compound, and none anywhere East Texas, where I found it. And no explanation could be offered as to how it would come to be embedded in the ground with the perimeter charred.

I have a couple of high-resolution scans of it, which I will either e-mail or post if anyone is interested in seeing it. The story behind my finding it is pretty interesting, which has played a significant role in my keeping the piece all these years. I won't belabor the list with the story, as it has little to do with meteorites, beyond my activities leading up to the discovery.

If anyone on the list would be willing to help me determine just what the thing is, please ping me privately.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, or just for listening.

Ron Kaye