More of an issue of the flat lap brand is the making sure you do not cross contaminate the grit sizes. I had one here in Wyoming and kept getting dirt blown in on the finer grits because I had the flat lap out of doors. They can be messy so get a garage. I sold my like new 24" for $25 so I didn't have to look at it. To do over again, get about six flat laps and dedicate each one to a specific grit. Throughly wash and wash the pieces before moving to the next grit size and keep the dirt contamination away.
I now use a contour polishing grinder.
I might suggest trying out a flat lap with something else before working on a meteorite. Just my 2 Cents for your thought.
It is a merry Christmas!
Dave Freeman
82901

McCartney Taylor wrote:

The time has come for me to buy a flat Lap for polishing slices. Who can recommend a tried and true Flap lap and what size?

-mt

--  McCartneyTaylor, IMCA 2760