List,

Back to the whole individual question. Really fresh specimens can be confusing
at a glance. Many appear to be fragments with fresh exposed matrix, exposed as
if they broke on impact with a hard surface. After a second look I see the
light matrix from the exposed face frosted over the fusion crust without any
sign of secondary ablation color change. Flakes of heavy crust missing with
splotches remaining, like missing shuttle tiles, the exposed matrix still
pristine showing no secondary burn. Spatters of metal splashed on the outside
of the black crust like someone splashed solder on it.

It appears that heat was no longer the primary factor involved, so what ensued
in those final seconds or a fraction, that determined these effects? Are these
common characteristics of a fresh chondrite fall? If not, maybe the velocity
was greater than prescribed. Could the last blast of a fragmenting, soon to be
meteorite, cause the fragments to gain velocity, lose heat and undergo changes
caused by pressure alone?

It's difficult enough for me to comprehend fresh stuff. It's crazy to think
about finds and how to decide if they are whole individuals.

Bill