Well, if you want to get picky, technically you can get that type of material from an iron meteorite, although I'm not sure I'd call it a tektite. Canyon Diablo is well known for having partly vaporized on impact; the resultant iron vapor recondensed and seeded the desert for kilometers around with metallic droplets that cooled into tiny spheres. I don't think there was any mixture of gas and solid, though. Either the fragment remained metal all the way down, or it vaporized on impact.

Tracy Latimer

From: "kevin decker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com
Subject: [meteorite-list] RE...Metal Tektite's....
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 07:57:12 -0400

 Hello,Thank's for your replies to my query on Metal Tektite's!..What if the Impactor were "metallic",and in the vaporization and remixing process,not all of the "metallic" bolide completely vaporized?..it then recondensed,remixed,and got ejected as an "metallic" object?...Thank's!..Kevin W.Decker.

Get MSN Messenger with FREE Video Conversation - the next best thing to being there!