To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Meteorite smugglers anger scientists

The Moroccans are smarter now than most collectors.
You will not get a lunar or Martian meteorite cheap
there now. 90% of them can recognize one in a second.
Don't feel too sorry for most of the Moroccans, they
make much more money than most of us dealers who pay
nearly retail for the material IN MOROCCO,  and they
live quite well off of the meteorites. It has greatly
impacted the financial well-being of most of them
involved in the meteorite trade. I mean come on, now
they get tens of thousands of $$$ for a black rock
they picked up in the sand. How often does that happen
to someone in Germany or the UK?
Michael Farmer
--- Darren Garrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:06:52 -0400, you wrote:

>Hello Moni and List,
>If the article is referring to unclassified
material,which would make sense,
>thereby allowing material never to reach the
scientific community, the point
>is well taken.

The problem with that argument is that from the
stories that the people who go
to Morocco tell, those nomads aren't nearly as
clueless as the article writer
claims that they are.  They may have been at first,
but they learned to notice
the difference between a common meteorite and a
valuable one.  Which is why
people like MF and the Hupes have to make big
negotiations to get their lunars,
Martians, and other rare achondrites instead of
getting them for 10 cents a gram
in heaps of OCs.  The rare stuff is going to be
recognized by the original
dealers and sold at rare stuff prices to rare stuff
dealers/collectors.